Do you feel sick?
H3N2 Rise: Public Health Hazard and Cause of Panic!
Recently, there has been a lot of news in the media about an increase in cases of the H3N2 virus. It affects a significant portion of the population. One in two of them complain of fever, cough and flu-like symptoms.
After two years of battling the Covid pandemic, the rise in flu cases has scared the general public.
Since January 2023, there has been a constant stream of news about this respiratory virus infection, providing regular updates on the spread of the virus across India. On March 6, Karnataka reported India’s first death from the H3N2 virus in her.upper respiratory infections and heat Both are symptoms of an infectious disease and primarily affect people over the age of 50 and under the age of 15.
What is the Influenza A H3N2 virus?
There are 4 different types influenza Viruses that cause infections known as influenza: A, B, C, and D. The H3N2 subtype of influenza A is one of several subtypes.
Changes in the H3N2 influenza virus
H3N2 infections are highly contagious and spread effectively from person to person via respiratory droplets. The virus spreads to others when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or speaks. Touching a contaminated surface with your mouth, nose, or eyes can also spread the virus. Influenza A virus subtype H3N2 is responsible for the highly contagious respiratory disease known as H3N2 influenza.
- mutation: New strains of influenza viruses can emerge due to rapid mutation. H3N2 viruses are susceptible to mutation and evolution, making it difficult to predict the severity of each influenza season.
- Host Sensitivity: People who have never been exposed to the virus before or who have a weak immune system are more likely to get the H3N2 flu.
- Crowded living conditions: Schools, nursing homes, and prisons are places where H3N2 flu can easily spread.
- Seasonal variation: H3N2 flu is more prevalent during the winter when people tend to spend more time indoors and near other people.
- trip: H3N2 influenza can spread internationally, as the virus can be transmitted from infected travelers to other locations.
Symptoms of H3N2 Flu:
A good understanding of the symptoms of H3N2 flu is very important as early detection of the disease leads to treatment and prevention.
Below are some of the typical symptoms of H3N2 seasonal infections.
Viral infections caused by H3N2 influenza can cause a severe cough lasting up to two weeks. The H3N2 flu can cause serious illness and can be dangerous for certain high-risk patients, even though most people recover from fever within a week without the need for hospitalization. I have. It is important to monitor the patient and seek professional help if symptoms persist or appear to worsen.
High-risk groups may require hospitalization.If a member of your family has been diagnosed with this infection and has comorbidities such as: asthma, COPD, obesityor if you have a heart or lung disorder, this is something to keep in mind.
Risk factors for H3N2 infection:
Some high-risk groups are more susceptible than others. If you or any affected individuals belong to such groups, we recommend that you exercise caution.
- pregnant woman
- children under 5 years old
- senior citizen
- Individuals experiencing certain ailments (aspiration, persistent cardiac, renal, metabolic, hepatic, hematologic, and neurodevelopmental conditions).
- people taking or receiving steroids chemical treatmentor have an immunosuppressive disease such as AIDS again HIV.
- Healthcare workers in constant contact with patients are more likely to spread the disease to vulnerable populations.
H3N2 – diffusion method
- Person-to-person transmission by respiratory drops
Infection with H3N2 influenza spreads rapidly, especially in highly congested areas such as nursing homes, workplaces, public vehicles, and schools.
An infected person coughs or sneeze, viral droplets are released into the air. The virus spreads rapidly up to 1 meter and infects nearby people by inhaling airborne droplets.
- Physical contact is another way the virus spreads.
- You can become infected by touching contaminated surfaces or objects.
Diagnosis of H3N2 influenza:
Most cases are clinically diagnosed. However, during periods of low activity, infections by other respiratory viruses such as Covid, respiratory syncytial virus, rhinovirus, adenovirus, etc. influenzayour illness. This makes it difficult to clinically distinguish H3N2 influenza from other environmental pathogens. Therefore, respiratory samples and laboratory tests will be required to determine the nature of the pathogen.
- Nose or throat swabs for real-time RT-PCR.
- Test H2N3 virus in culture.
- Antibody test for H3N2 virus.
Treatment of H3N2 influenza:
- Recommended by Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) Doctors treat H3N2 influenza primarily with supportive care rather than antibiotics.
- Seek medical attention for diagnosis and treatment if you feel unwell. If a doctor suspects H3N2 in her, she may be asked to monitor her vital signs and temperature at home.
- Drink plenty of water and eat well.
- Gargling with warm saline and inhaling steam along with coughing can help relieve ear and throat discomfort.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan. Avoid self-medication or initiation of antibiotics or antivirals as they may cause side effects and may not even be necessary. However, your doctor will prescribe antiviral drugs if deemed necessary.
- Seek immediate medical attention if high fever persists, breathing becomes difficult, or SpO2 drops below 94.
Precautions to prevent infection
what I have to do
- Follow Breathing Etiquette: Whether you are infected or not, you should cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or handkerchief whenever you cough or sneeze. Please wear a mask when you go out.
- Practice good hand hygiene. You should also wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- If you feel unwell, please isolate yourself.
- Stay healthy by getting your vaccinations every year.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Avoid touching your mouth and nose with dirty hands
According to the World Health Organization, the following groups should be vaccinated:
- Children from 6 months to 60 months.
- Elderly people over 65 years old.
- pregnant woman
- Those with chronic illness
- Health care workers
Something you can not do
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, or eyes, especially while sailing.
- Avoid getting too close to sick people.
- Avoid crowds as much as possible.
- spit in public
- shaking hands with people
- taking medication without consulting a doctor
- Sit and eat close to others in a crowded place
H3N2 infections can be difficult to contain, especially in densely populated areas, unless good respiratory hygiene is maintained at all times. Get vaccinated annually to reduce your risk of infection. Your loved ones, friends, colleagues, and your workplace and educational institution will all benefit from recognizing the dos and don’ts.
https://healthlibrary.askapollo.com/h3n2-virus-influenza-a-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment-and-spread/ Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Spread