If you are an artist, writer, designer or entrepreneur, physical products can be the perfect canvas to monetize your creativity, thanks to systems such as print-on-demand.
Companies that are dedicated to print on demand – a business also known in English as print on demand – can help you put an original spin on everyday products, such as T-shirts, posters, backpacks and books, to sell online.
However, if you follow the traditional circuit of buying products in advance and keeping your own inventory in your warehouses, you run the risk of being undercapitalized and left with a pile of unsold items.
In this sense, print-on-demand services are very useful because they offer you a way to save time and money . And they will also help you reduce the risk involved in managing stocks . A circumstance that allows you to go from creating to selling personalized products with a much lower investment than usual.
What is “print on demand” and how does it work?
Many people wonder what print on demand is.
Well, print-on-demand is fundamentally based on a process in which you work with a supplier to customize generic products – such as baseball caps, t-shirts or women’s bags – with your own designs . And once the products have your designs printed on them, then you can already sell them to order under your own brand.
The great thing about this print-on-demand format is that you don’t pay for the product until you’ve sold it, so there’s no need to buy in volume or store inventory.
In addition, these specialized services are in charge of managing everything that happens after the sale (from printing to shipping). Once you have everything set up, it only takes a few clicks to place an order when a sale is generated.
You can use print-on-demand services to:
- Try a business idea : or test a new line of products for an existing business, without the risks involved in buying a lot of stock that you will not know if you will sell or not.
- Monetize an audience that you have developed : Print on demand is an excellent option if you are youtuber, cartoonist or social media influencer and want to spend your time creating content instead of preparing orders.
- Create original products for a customer niche : for example, clothing for people who are passionate about games.
- Easily print promotional items – such as T-shirts, books, shoes, bags, posters, phone cases, watches, laptopsleeves , mugs, and more. You can send them as gifts or keep them for yourself and your team.
Advantages and disadvantages of print on demand
Print-on-demand sites can be used to build a business based on a dropshippingmodel , where products and shipping are handled by a third party.
This option seems to us one of the most accessible ways to obtain products without large investments, or to start an online business.
But before jumping into the water, you should know the benefits and limitations of this format.
Advantages of print on demand:
You can create products quickly : Once you have the design, you can create the product and put it on sale in a matter of minutes.
You don’t have to deal with shipping management : your supplier is responsible for preparing and shipping your customers’ orders. After sale, you are only responsible for customer service.
Low investment, lower risk : Since you do not maintain any physical inventory, it is easier to add and remove products, test ideas or modify your approach.
Sell Print on Demand on Etsy:Etsy has always been a place you go to if you want to buy homemade or vintage goods. It’s a gold mine for different craftsmen, artisans, and vintage dealers and collectors. But that’s not the only thing you can find there. By having a reputation of being a place where people sell items that can rarely be found elsewhere, it’s a great place to display your print-on-demand products and sell on Esty.
Disadvantages of print on demand:
- Margins are lower : it is clear that buying in bulk and stocking your own products generates higher profits. But the risk assumed is also greater. Also, remember that margins for on-demand products may be lower, depending on how you set prices and get customers.
- Less control over shipping – Shipping costs can get complicated as they often vary by product. Your options may also be limited when it comes to packaging design.
- Limited customization : Your ability to customize products is highly dependent on the vendor and the product. You’ll have to weigh basic costs, customization options, printing techniques, and available sizes when deciding which products to customize.