The broad answer is yes. Most insurance policies cover the cost of knee replacement surgery. In fact, some insurance companies offer special and separate policies for knee replacement surgery. Read ahead to learn more about knee replacement insurance coverage in India.
Knee replacement surgery and insurance coverage
knee replacement It is a major operation and often has a large impact on life. The success rate of total knee arthroplasty is almost 100%. The following paragraphs have detailed the various benefits and causes of knee replacement surgery. In addition to the surgery itself, there are myriad costs, including medications, assistive devices, and physical therapy that the patient needs to fully recover.
Knee replacement surgery has been in the gray area covered by insurance because the joints become weaker and more painful as people get older. However, most policies today claim that knee replacement surgery is medically necessary and covered.
As mentioned above, knee arthroplasty has not been covered by insurance so far, so if you have the same insurance for a long time, it may not be covered. In that case, you should contact your insurance company to update your policy. If you keep your old policy, most insurance companies usually agree to cover up to 50% of your surgery costs.
Benefits of insurance coverage for total knee replacement surgery include:
- Cashless treatment facilities: With cashless treatment, you don’t actually have to pay for the surgery, and the insurance company itself settles the hospital bill. To do this, you will need to visit the hospital listed on your insurance policy and schedule your surgery in advance.
- Coverage for post-surgery costs: Most good policies cover both pre-hospital and post-hospital charges (physical therapy, medication, etc.) in addition to the cost of surgery.
Waiting period for knee replacement compensation
A waiting period is a period of time during which a patient cannot submit a claim or receive policy benefits. The period begins on the date the policy is issued and is preset prior to submitting the policy. All standard insurance policies have a specific waiting period ranging from months to years depending on the terms of the policy. This waiting period varies by disease and depends on the patient’s health, pre-existing conditions, etc. If you have a knee replacement under the new policy, please check the policy waiting period before getting it. surgery.
Special Standalone Knee Replacement Insurance
Most people don’t realize that they can purchase special insurance for the knee replacement surgery itself. This is because knee replacement surgery was originally considered cosmetic surgery and was not covered by insurance. However, as more and more people need knee replacement surgery, most insurance companies have launched special insurance for knee replacement surgery.
As these policies grew in popularity, most government-run and private insurance policies began offering knee replacement surgery as part of their packages. can find.
Benefits of Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgery is a surgery that replaces a damaged or degenerated knee joint to restore movement and function of the knee joint. Some of the most common factors behind knee replacement surgery include age, sedentary lifestyle, obesity, and knee arthritis.
Most people have knee replacement surgery when the movement and function of the knee joint is so bad that they become bedridden or interfere with daily activities, such as walking or climbing stairs. Common benefits of total knee arthroplasty include:
- Most people who have knee surgery are able to walk with help from the day of surgery and can walk without help within 2-3 weeks.
- This is the most effective treatment for long-term pain relief from knee pain.
- People can start driving and return to work within 4 to 6 weeks if their job does not require much physical activity, and within 3 months if they do.
- This allows patients to perform exercises that help them manage their weight and health and prevent further health problems such as cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes and osteoporosis.
knee replacement cost
generally, knee replacement cost It starts with Rupees. 2.7 lakh (both sides), and Rs. 18,000 rupees (unilaterally). Costs are highly variable and depend on many factors, including:
- type of surgery
- Choice of treatment city and hospital
- Length of hospital stay
- Surgeon’s fee
- types of knee implants
- Physiotherapy/hospital-required physiotherapy
- Future follow-up schedule
- Additional therapy during home care
- Transportation costs
- Additional tests and checkups
There are different types of knee replacement surgery based on the severity of knee degeneration and loss of motion.
- Total knee replacement, or replacement of the entire knee
- Partial knee replacement, that is, replacing only the affected part of the knee
- Bilateral knee replacement, that is, replacing both knee joints at the same time.
Most health problems cannot be predicted in advance. Having good insurance is just insurance. If you or someone in your family is older and has ongoing knee pain, you can benefit from good knee replacement insurance. I need to check for price increases, etc. Some policies have a waiting period of as little as 3-6 months, while others have a waiting period of 2-4 years or more. So make sure you fully understand all the finer points of an insurance policy before you get an insurance policy.
https://www.pristyncare.com/blog/knee-replacement-insurance/ Is knee replacement surgery covered by insurance?