How can I get an Internet connection?
Getting an internet connection gives individuals and organizations the chance to connect using computer devices. They can access the internet service to send an email, browse the web, stream movies and music, play online games, etc. Generally, internet service providers give access to the internet users by delivering them network connection at a fee. Other organizations also provide wireless and a landline connection, free of cost.
If you are looking to buy an internet connection, we recommend you check out Comcast’s Xfinity. They have two different methods to provide you with internet access; with an Ethernet cable or wireless connectivity, whichever you prefer. Also, their Xfinity internet plans offer options of different connection speeds to choose from with several devices to be connected to, suitable for the required online activities. And the best part? You can connect to the Xfinity hotspot anywhere in the city, away from home.
Types of internet service
There are methods to apply for before getting an internet connection. The types of internet service you pay your ISP for depends on your location, varying rates that your budget can afford, and the kind of connection that is required for your productivity.
- The DSL internet connection carries the network connection to internet users through telephone lines, however, it does not require you to have a landline. But if you do own one, you can use the internet and telephone at the same time, unlike the ever-obsolete dial-up connection. It is the slowest type of internet connection that works for light streaming like web browsing or watching low-quality videos.
- As the name suggests, cable internet connection relies on wired cable to get an internet connection. Like the DSL connection, you do not necessarily need to have a cable to get the internet connection, but the drawback is that since the cable connection is shared, there is bound to be delayed connectivity. Cable internet is much faster than a DSL connection, but it is only available in areas where there is are cable TV available.
- Fiber internet connection is the fastest method of data transmission, that is no competition for the other types of internet service. The download and upload speeds are symmetrical, which allows for smooth and lag-free online activities. It is ideal for businesses that require productivity and heavy workload over the internet. However, it can also be used for home internet, but even the most basic fiber internet connection will be enough for a single household with multiple devices.
- A satellite connection does not require cable or telephone lines, rather it allows a connection to the internet with the help of an antenna, installed in your home. That antenna connects to the satellite orbiting around the Earth for data transmission. Satellite connection is slower than cable or DSL connection, but that is the best and reliable option for internet users residing in remote areas, where there is no access to telephone or cable lines.
- Finally, a mobile internet connection is also used to get access to the network. 3G and 4G are the most commonly used internet connections for mobile phones and they connect wirelessly to ISP’s network. Mobile internet usually has a limited amount of internet connection that can be used for an assigned period.
Accessing the internet through router/modem
After selecting the type of internet service based on your location, budgetary needs, and work requirement, your ISP will give you a router or modem to be eligible for data transmission. These routers or modems are connected to physical lines such as cable or telephone lines. Purchasing a modem from ISP comes with fees that are separate from the internet connection charges. However, some ISPs allow internet users to purchase their modem.
Modem and Routers
A modem is a wired technology that connectsdevices to the internet via Ethernet cables. If you need a Wi-Fi connection, you will use a router to connect to the modem, and that way multiple devices can access the internet wirelessly. However, there are now many modems with built-in routers, which allows for a wireless connection of devices to the internet.
If you are purchasing a modem from ISP, that ISP will send a technician to install the modem in your home. If you are buying it yourself, you will need to set up the modem yourself. Your ISP will only create a physical connection to provide you link to the network connection. With everything in place, you can turn on your devices and have working internet right there.
If you prefer using mobile internet, you can also sign up for their internet plans. You can also share your mobile internet connection with other users by tethering or turning on a hotspot. However, mobile internet is not ideal or recommended for heavy internet usage.
To summarize, you will first decide the kind of internet connection you need for your online activities since all of them differ in location, connection speeds, charges, etc. Then according to your requirement, your local ISP will hook you up with a modem to receive an internet connection. Or you can purchase your own and they will link that to the physical cable. Following these simple steps will get you a working internet connection.