After a certain age, most men start to experience mild to moderate hair loss and hair fall issues. A recent study by Traya (a hair loss solution start-up) has revealed that over 150 million Indians face hair fall, balding, and greying issues in their early 20s. Various factors, such as genetic predisposition, high stress, nutritional deficiencies, thyroid issues, etc., contribute to hair loss, leaving men to seek hair fall treatments.
There was a time when most people used to rely on natural remedies, trying out rice water to onion shampoo of every brand to address the concern. But these remedies don’t provide a long-term solution.
Here comes scalp micro pigmentation as a solution. This non-surgical cosmetic procedure creates the illusion of freshly-grown hair follicles. It is an innovative treatment that can be done within a few sessions and is suitable for men who don’t want to get surgical treatment.
Today, we are going to learn all about Scalp Micropigmentation in detail. Let’s begin.
What is Scalp Micropigmentation?
Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure that involves the application of specialized pigments to the scalp to create the appearance of a closely shaved or buzzed hairstyle. It is a versatile treatment that can be used to address various types of hair loss, including male pattern baldness, receding hairlines, hair thinning, etc. It can also provide camouflage to scars on the scalp resulting from an accident or surgery.
Scalp micro pigmentation is a minimally-invasive treatment that is purely for visual enhancement of the scalp, giving the impression of a fuller head of hair. If you are considering this treatment, it’ll be best to consult a dermatologist or hair specialist who is skilled in scalp micro pigmentation and discuss your specific needs.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Scalp Micropigmentation?
An ideal candidate for Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) typically includes individuals who are experiencing certain types of hair loss or scalp conditions. Here are some factors that may make an individual a suitable candidate for this treatment:
- The individual deals with male pattern baldness, receding hairline, or hair thinning issues.
- The individual has scarring on the scalp and wants to improve the appearance.
- The individual is at least 18 years old, and the hair thinning is bothersome.
- The individual has realistic goals and expectations from the procedure.
- The individual has a specific skin type, meaning he/she has light skin with very little amount of melanin.
People with darker skin can also get scalp micro pigmentation, but they will require touch-up treatments in the future to maintain the desired results, as pigment loss may happen over time. SMP can create an illusion of denser hair by filling in the gaps and blending the existing hair with pigmented dots.
Technique Used in Scalp Micropigmentation
SMP uses a cosmetic-grade, permanent pigment and places them in a stippling pattern on the second epidermal layer of the scalp. The size, angle, and depth of these pigments vary significantly to replicate the natural appearance of real hair follicles.
This treatment requires specific precision and attention to detail. The general steps involved with the procedure are given below:
- First, a detailed consultation takes place between the patient and the doctor to discuss goals, desired outcomes, concerns, and other questions. The professional will assess your scalp condition, hair loss pattern, and hair color to determine the most appropriate approach.
- The specialist will work with you to design a hairline that suits your facial features. The doctor will consider factors such as natural hairline, face shape, and expectations to create a customized plan.
- Then the specialist will select the pigments that closely match your natural hair color and also consider the variations in the shade and tone.
- Before the procedure, the scalp is thoroughly cleaned. The area to be treated may also be trimmed or shaved to ensure the even application of the pigments.
- Using a specialized device or micro-needle, the pigments are injected into the dermal layer. These needles create small dots or lines that resemble hair follicles. This is done with precision by controlling the depth, angle, and density of the pigment application.
- Multiple layers of pigment are created to achieve the desired density and shading. This technique created a 3D appearance that blends with the surrounding skin and hair.
You should understand that the specific technique and tools used for scalp micropigmentation may vary slightly.
Effects of Scalp Micropigmentation on Men
Scalp micropigmentation (SMP) can have significant effects on men’s mental and psychological health. Firstly, it can improve self-esteem by restoring confidence in individuals experiencing hair loss or balding. By creating the illusion of fuller hair, SMP can positively influence their self-perception and overall well-being. Moreover, SMP can reduce anxiety and depression related to hair loss. The procedure offers a solution that helps individuals feel more comfortable and satisfied with their appearance, alleviating emotional distress and improving their mental state.
Furthermore, SMP can provide a sense of control over one’s appearance, empowering men to actively address their concerns and contribute to their mental well-being. While these effects are commonly reported, it’s essential to remember that individual experiences may vary.
Benefits of Scalp Micropigmentation on Men
SMP is one of the best options to address hair thinning for people who don’t wish to undergo surgery for hair restoration. It offers the following benefits:
- Natural Appearance: Scalp micropigmentation creates the appearance of real hair follicles on the scalp, resulting in a natural-looking hairline. The pigments are carefully matched to your natural hair color, ensuring a seamless blend with your existing hair.
- Non-Surgical Solution: SMP is a non-surgical procedure, making it an attractive option for men who prefer to avoid invasive surgical hair restoration methods. It does not involve incisions, stitches, or a lengthy recovery period, unlike hair transplant surgery.
- Immediate Results: The results of the procedure are visible immediately. You can see the new hairline and notice a clear difference in the scalp.
- Low Maintenance: Scalp micropigmentation requires minimal maintenance compared to other hair loss treatments. Once the pigments are applied, they retain their appearance without the need for daily styling or using special hair products.
- Versatile Treatment: It is a versatile treatment that can be recommended to people irrespective of the stage of baldness. The treatment can be customized to meet your specific needs.
- Safety and Minimal Side Effects: SMP is generally a safe procedure when performed by a certified and experienced professional.
- Improved Self-Esteem: Hair loss can impact a man’s self-esteem and confidence to a great extent. Scalp micropigmentation can restore a sense of normalcy and improve self-image.
Limitations of Scalp Micropigmentation
Though SMP is a very popular and effective method, it also has some limitations. If you are considering this treatment, it is important to understand the shortcomings of the procedure to make an informed decision. The limitations include the following:
- Non-reversible Effects: The pigmentation done on the scalp is permanent as the color is deposited into the skin. Furthermore, there are multiple layers of pigment that cannot be removed easily. Therefore, it’s crucial that you understand the long-term effects of your decision to get SMP.
- Limited Hair Texture Variation: SMP primarily focuses on creating the appearance of closely shaved or buzzed hair. It may not effectively replicate the texture and look of longer hair or specific hairstyles. It works best for men who prefer a shorter hairstyle and are willing to keep it for the long term.
- Sensitivity to Sun Exposure: The pigments used in SMP can fade over time due to exposure to sunlight. UV rays can cause the pigments to lighten or change color. To minimize fading, it is recommended to protect the scalp with sunscreen or wear a hat when exposed to the sun.
- Maintenance and Touch-ups: While SMP doesn’t require day-to-day maintenance, the scalp will require touch-ups over time. The longevity of the procedure depends on factors such as individual skin type, lifestyle, sun exposure, etc.
- Not A Hair Growth Solution: One of the biggest shortcomings of scalp micropigmentation is that it doesn’t stimulate hair growth. SMP can only create an illusion but won’t actually give you a full head of hair.
Before opting for SMP, it is recommended that you consult with a specialist who can assess your specific condition and suggest the most suitable treatment method based on your needs and expectations.
Alternative Treatment for Micropigmentation- Hair Transplant Surgery
Considering the limitations of scalp micropigmentation, many people opt for hair transplant treatment. Unlike SMP, which is a non-surgical procedure, hair transplant surgery is an invasive surgical procedure. It involves transplanting hair follicles from a donor area (typically the back or sides of the scalp) to the recipient area (areas of thinning or balding).
This treatment aims to restore natural hair growth by transplanting healthy hair follicles to areas of thinning or baldness. The transplanted hair follicles are typically resistant to the effects of pattern baldness and can continue to grow hair in the recipient area. It provides long-lasting results as the transplanted hair follicles will continue to grow and can be styled, cut, and treated like natural hair.
Note: Not everyone is an ideal candidate for hair transplant surgery. The availability and quality of donor hair, the extent of hair loss, the overall health of the individual, and other factors will be assessed by a hair specialist to determine suitability for the procedure.
If you have been dealing with hair problems and need an effective solution, get in touch with Pristyn Care. We provide advanced hair transplant treatment and also offer non-surgical treatments to people who wish to restore natural hair growth. We leverage modern techniques, offer flexible payment options, and provide end-to-end assistance to men and women considering hair restoration treatment.
Book a consultation with us and talk to our expert dermatologists and hair specialists to get advanced and comprehensive care.
The post Scalp Micropigmentation For Men – Technique, Effects & Benefits of It appeared first on Pristyn Care.
https://www.pristyncare.com/blog/scalp-micropigmentation-for-men-technique-effects-benefits-of-it/ Scalp Micropigmentation For Men – Technique, Effects & Benefits of It