Dermal fillers are commonly performed procedures that have become popular in recent years for being effective treatments for various signs of aging, including lip wrinkles. Dermal fillers are typically made of hyaluronic acid, which is naturally found in your skin. When injected into the skin, dermal fillers act like a sponge to absorb moisture and plump up fine lines.
However, despite popular belief, dermal fillers are not completely harmless. If proper aftercare is not followed, it could lead to serious side effects or unsatisfactory results. In this blog, we will walk you through some tips you must follow after your dermal filler procedure, including a list of dos and don’ts so you know what to do after your dermal filler treatment.
What to Do After Dermal Filler Treatment?
Some easy-to-follow tips that can help you during your recovery after lip filler treatment are given below:
- Stay Hydrated: Hyaluronic acid binds with water in the body to increase its volumizing effect. Therefore, it is crucial to keep your fluids up and stay hydrated while recovering. Drink at least two liters of water daily to get the best possible results from your lip injection.
- Elevate Your Head as You Sleep: Sleeping on your back while keeping the head slightly elevated is the safest position to sleep in after any cosmetic procedure. Use extra pillows to elevate your head slightly, and avoid sleeping on your front with your face down. This could worsen your swelling and cause discomfort.
- Apply Ice: It is advisable to apply a cold compress to your lips for at least 10-15 minutes several times a day after your lip filler procedure. Cold compression can slow down blood flow to the injection site. As a result, they help reduce swelling and bruising that may have occurred after your procedure. However, dont apply ice directly over the lips. This could lead to serious complications such as frostbite or cold burns.
- Be Patient: Take it easy and give yourself ample time to recover from your treatment. While lip filler treatment has a minimal recovery period, it can take time for the filler to settle in. Sometimes, it can even take 3-4 weeks for the filler to settle. Therefore, be patient and make sure to strictly follow the post-procedural guidelines laid out by your doctor.
It is also advised to plan ahead. For example, if you are getting lip filler treatment for an event, make sure to have a big enough gap to ensure sufficient recovery time.
- Do Thorough Research: Despite popular misconception, not anyone can perform a dermal filler procedure. Before treatment, it is crucial to do thorough research and choose only a qualified and experienced dermatologist. Make sure that a professional body accredits your preferred dermatologist and has sufficient experience in performing cosmetic dermatological procedures, including lip fillers.
What to Avoid After Lip Filler Treatment?
To ensure the best possible results and minimal chances of side effects or complications, given below is a list of things you should avoid after your lip filler treatment:
- Stay Away From High Temperatures: Make sure to stay away from high-temperature environments after your lip filler treatment. Heat can worsen your swelling and lead to added discomfort. Avoid steam rooms, saunas, and heated exercise classes for a day or two following your treatment.
- Avoid Strenuous Exercises: Avoid any strenuous exercises or activities that may exert excessive pressure on your injection site. Rigorous exercises can also raise your heart rate and blood pressure resulting in added swelling and bruising to your lips.
Instead, perform low-impact exercises such as walking or cycling to improve blood circulation and improve healing.
- Avoid High-Sodium Foods: Due to swelling caused by filler injections, it is best to avoid spicy or high-sodium foods for 24-48 hours after surgery. Spicy and acidic foods may cause stinging or burning sensations, especially while the lips are still in its early healing stages. It is also advised to avoid any hot drinks as they could worsen swelling. Instead, stick to room-temperature water.
- Avoid Applying Excessive Pressure on Your Lips: Try not to put any kind of pressure on your lips for at least 24 hours after treatment. This includes sleeping on your face, massaging your lips, or rubbing them excessively. Applying any pressure to the injected lips may cause swelling and bruising.
- Refrain from Alcohol Consumption or Smoking: Avoid alcohol or smoking for at least 48 hours after your lip filler treatment. Alcohol is known to expand blood vessels and can increase your chances of swelling or bruising. Smoking, on the other hand, can apply extra pressure on your lips and increase the risk of infection.
Risks of Dermal Fillers
Serious complications after a dermal filler procedure, regardless of the target area, are rare. While there can be side effects, they are expected to subside on their own in a few days. But as is the case with any cosmetic procedure, there are risks that should be taken lightly. Some risks that are generally associated with lip filler procedures are given below:
- Asymmetrical appearance
- Bleeding, Bruising, redness, pain, and swelling
- Damage to the skin
- Infection (which can lead to necrosis in severe cases)
- Formation of lumps or bumps under your skin
- Rash and itching
Some patients also report vision problems after their dermal filler injections. If you are facing symptoms such as weakness, persistent discomfort or pain, and problems with vision, it is imperative that you seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Why Choose Pristyn Care?
Being India’s leading healthcare providers, we at Pristyn Care are dedicated to providing all our patients with the most comprehensive treatment at an affordable cost. The surgeries at Pristyn Care are done leveraging advanced medical technologies and equipment. Patients are treated at the hands of some of the best super specialist doctors and surgeons in the country who come with experience of more than 10 years.
So what are you waiting for? If you are considering undergoing lip filler treatment or have any further questions regarding the procedure, contact us at Pristyn Care. Book your consultation with our highly qualified, trained, and experienced team of dermatologists today.
https://www.pristyncare.com/blog/dermal-filler-dos-and-donts-for-lips-wrinkles/ Do’s and Don’ts for Lips Wrinkles